Saturday, September 21, 2002

Capturing the annointing
Tom asked me for any suggestions on capturing the annoiting on a recording. Its something we've talked about before. Your times of worship can be very annointed. You can feel that it is one of your greatest calls (more than the words/music sometimes). But how do you capture that? If that is the call, and all you end up with is a cd of songs, what was the point?
First of all, is it even possible? I think so. There are some great worship CDs out there where you can just feel it. I've had some great times of worship listening to Darrel Evans and most lately Third Day. The first time I heard Offerings, I could just feel it. So, it is possible, even without a live recording. And what Tom and I were talking about was a studio recording.
Not that I'm like the great experienced guy at this, as I've only done a full CD once, and helped out on a few before that... but I think the greatest thing is to just be real. I'm not sure you can engineer an annointing into a CD... most likely, lets hope not. After all, what we want is real, not manufactered. So, I think you have to have an annointed time of worship, and just happen to record it.
I guess one thing is, who is your target? If it is people who already know you, who think your music is annointed, who push into God's throne room when they come and see you... then what they want to hear is YOU. Listening to you play, as they've always heard you play, well bring back the feel and will help move them in. I believe one problem is when people try to get it too "right". They start worrying about the music and the recording, and forget about the WORSHIP! Then what you end up with is something that sounds pretty good, musically, and is engineered well, perhaps, but maybe has no soul.
So, get your stuff down, be prepared, pray it up, figure out what you want to do. Then just go in and WORSHIP God. Worship like you are doing a worship service, not like you are doing a practice, and hope that the medium captures the feeling. If your worship time doesn't feel annointed, most likely it isn't going to feel annointed when it is capture.
Maybe simple, but I'm pretty simple when it comes to worship. That's all I've got for now.

No comments: