Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Valentines day, the church, and being on staff

So... our church is moving. We've been in a building forever that was costing us way too much money to lease, and we don't have enough funds to buy our own place. So we are going into a school. This is a good thing because it means we can pour more money into ministries, staff, etc. and can start saving for our own building.

This decision just happened, so it means that Tina and I spent our Valentine's Day "date" working at the church. But you know, that is what being a member of a church, and being on staff, is all about. Yeah, Tina worked all day, and so did I, and then we went and worked at the church that night. Her helping organize, etc., Me being a "worker bee" :) - But how could we not do that? Like I said, that is what being on staff is all about. Like you are going to ask people to come spend their night working, and you're going to take off to go have dinner or something? No way. I mean, that attitude is so important in secular life, let alone church life. There are plenty of times I work on the weekend because someone on my team is working and needs my help. Like I'm going to say "you spend your saturady working because it is important - but not important enough for me to come in." Yeah right.

And in the church life, where it is all about serving, supporting, and showing the people you care, it is even more important. And I'm happy to say that everyone on staff showed up and set the good example. And it was awesome. We (the church family) got so much done yesterday. Last time we made a "move", Tina spent 21 days straight working on it, without any time off. This time, its been 1 day and it seems like the majority of the work is done and we should be "good to go" this weekend. How very cool. Talk about committed people. Its great.

So... all in all, not a typical Valentine's Day, and not a typical "date" - but it was very cool. And besides, I'll make it up to her some time. :)

No comments: