Friday, January 21, 2005

Church - fun stuff I do

And speaking of "fun" things, if I'm not working or at home vegging, I'm doing church related stuff, which is very cool. The main two fun things I've been doing lately are:

Cooking: We have a cooking "I-Group", (cell group, home group, etc.) where I get to play Emeril. Very fun stuff. We did Cajun the other night and Leslie made a crab dip and bread pudding (yum!) and I made Jambalya. My first time. It was actually a little spicy for me, but not so bad that I couldn't eat it. It was very good. But if I was to make it for the family I would have used less spice and more tomatoe based. We only due this once a month (so not too much of a committment) and it is usually a really good time of cooking and just hanging out and talking. The perfect social occasion for me. 1) I'm doing something (cooking) so don't have to be the center of conversation, 2) If I am talking, its usually about food, which is something I'm very interested in. Anyway, its always a great time and very fun. Leslie buys all the food, preps most of it, and cleans up. I just get there, put on my chef's jacket, and play Emeril. And then we eat. Great time! :)

Worship: I've been drumming the last 2 weeks, and will for two more weeks. This has been awesome. I love percussion and don't want to be a permanent drummer, but being able to do it for the month has been really fun. And worship has been awesome. So its been a great time for me of just being really passionate in worship. Plus it always gives Tina a kick to see me drum. Reminds her of the "old days". :) Michael said it looks like I had a waterfall of cymbals (beacuse I had 6 of them up there), so Monday when I was over doing some accounting, I added two more. So last night I had 8. :) Greg said, "Yeah, I looked over and you weren't playing the drums, you were playing cymbals." But its all good!

As a percussion player, I'm very influenced by my drumming background. But now I think my drumming is also being influenced by my percussion playing. At any rate, I've been having a blast.

This year we are adopting the concept of "understudies" for some of the various positions, so for instance I will be the drummer understudy. Basically I'll still primairly be focused on percussion, but I'll be learning the songs as we go along, on drums as well. That way if Dominick is out for some reason, I'm not coming in cold. And to make sure it isn't "all practice with no play", I'll be drumming once in a while no matter what. So that will be very fun.

And then Teresa preached on Sunday, which totally rocked big time, and just confirmed what a natural speaker/teacher she is and how much she hears from God. It was so incredibly cool. But... enoough blogging for now, I REALLY should get to work.

Hopefully (but no promises), I'll post on a regular basis. I'm starting to catch a trend of posting links reguarly, and then every once in a great while some long post, or sets of posts. I liked it better when I posted something short every few days... but we'll see...

No comments: