Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Bagels, Close Calls, God and Passion

A million thoughts, images, and voices running through my head, all in a short period of time.

Took Jaime to Panera again this morning. Heather wasn't there yet, so we decided to go in and get a bagel (Napolian Dynomite "Sweet!"). Since I was just "dropping her off", all I did was get up from my laptop, throw on some clothes and head out. So my hair is a terrible mess.

Me: "My hair looks terrible. I'll just through on my headband."
Jaime: (In her Paris Hilton voice) - "Come on gorgeous, you look great. Besides, when do you care about how you look?"
Me: "Contrary to popular opinion, I *do* care how I look. Its just how I think I look isn't how other people always think I look" - yeah... its rough being a fashion question, but somebody has to do it. ;)

Get the bagels, Heather arrvies, Jaime leaves, I head home. Crank up the stero (is there ANY other way to listen to music) and sitting at a long light singing at the top of my lungs, "My Glorious" by Delerious. Picking up some trash from the console and putting in into an empty cup when I notice a flash of light out of the side of my eye. And whoa... there is a car pointed right at me, about a 2 feet away. I was second in line, there is a small left turn lane medium next to me and this car was coming down the road, made the right hand turn, and since it was icy out and he was going to fast, just slide on an angle up onto the medium and stopped... about 2 feet from my door. Good thing the medium was there... and the angles. Yeah, "My Glorious" - He certainly is. Thanks God!

Light turns green, and I head off. Fast forward to Refugee... Song starts, music is pumping and Martin Smith says, "Come on"... Its not part of the song, he just says it in the intro. I can just see him in my mind... Flashes of Mac Powell from Third Day on the Live Wire DVD at the beginning of Come back to me where he is bouncing across the stage. And Nichole Rudder at youth worship. You can feel it. The presence of God is so strong, and the worship is so good... and you just have to MOVE... bounce, do something. Cuz if you don't your heart is just going to rip right out of your body and you are going to explode. So yeah, Martin Smith... Refugee is SUCH a cool song, so much passion, and he's got to be boucing... "Come on" - lets go... lets worship, lets do this thing.

Its a dangerous thing to listen to worship music when you are driving. It consumes you and you just want to go fast... and on icy roads that isn't always good. And I'm bouncing, and singing, and this car is going slow in front of me so I just have to slow down. Image of Jacque last Sunday, worshipping in her car on the way to work and signing at the top of her lungs - doing two 360s up onto the medium and almost flipping her car. But hey... some times you just have to worship... cause if you don't, well your just going to explode. :)

Passion... that's what worship is all about. That is why David danced. He just had too. And he got it. It wasn't about how he looked, it wasn't about what others thought. It was just him and God... in the midst of all those people. It was just the two of them, and he just had to.

I've walked down roads where the devils been
Where the kids have seen things they should never see
Where the ancient stone knows a deeper tale
About a bloody game they call the Holy War...
... that's where I wanna be

Heaven is my home...
Refugee

Jesus won the war, but there are battles all the time. And for me worship is one of those battles. Not every one agrees. Is it a Love Song, or a battle? I don't know for sure... But its a place of passion... and its where I wanna be.

Well... time to fix a build, write some code, check on some process... back to the "real world" - the sometimes frusturating, often times lackluster, "real world" - how can people not be caught up in worship and passion... its so much more alive. So much more real than where we live every day. Yup... its "where I wanna be" - Worship Practice Wed night. Can't wait. Hopefully we'll get a chance to worship, and just not practice.

later... (goes off humming Refugee in his head... :))

No comments: