Monday, March 21, 2005

Is that pile of clothes talking to me?

I usually get up early in the morning and start working. My eyes aren't too focused yet... I think its part of having my eyes lasered. Sometimes it takes a while for my brain to interpret what my eyes are seeing. I just stumble down, log in (which takes a while do to whatever software they run on our laptops, plus bringing up VPN, etc.) and by then my eyes/brain is working and I check to see what has happened since the last time I was on.

Anyway, this morning I step out of our room and into the hall. Right across the hall is Jaime's bathroom. She has the door open and is working on her hair. There is a pile of clothes right outside her door which makes it kind of hard for me to step into the hall. I don't find this unusual, as a) she tends to pile things all over (something she gets from her dad... :) ), and b) she'll sometimes have stuff there she is taking downstairs.

I mumble good morning or something and start to walk when she says something back.

Jamie: [something that doesn't register with my brain]
Me: Huh?
Jaime: We are just talking about my curls

Now the thoughts start running through my head... "We?" and my mind does that thing where it can't make sense of things so it starts making up things... which are just as equally implausible...

"We?" - there are only the two of us standing there, so who is "We?"
a. Her and her curlying iron, which she is looking at... no, that doesn't make sense she wouldn't refer to her curlying iron in terms of "we".
b. Is she talking to Tif? No - because Tif isn't getting here till next week
And then all of a sudden I hear another voice, which kind of sounds like Jaime, but isn't... because her mouth isn't moving.

OK... so this is getting really weird now. Maybe it is Tif and I just don't see her, so I kind of peer into the bathroom and Jaime just gives me a weird look. No Tif... besides... SHE ISN'T HERE YET.

And then I kind of notice that the pile of clothes is looking up at me and talking. Which totally freaks me out for a second, and that is when my sleepy brain finally realizes that the "pile of clothes" is actually Erika propped up against the wall with a blanket wrapped around her.

Me: "Oh hey, I didn't see you there. Wondered who Jaime was talking too. Guess I'm still asleep."

And they both kind of laugh in that "Yeah dad" kind of way.

All that in about 5 seconds. Just kind of weird. But makes for good blogging... I think. :)

No comments: