Monday, March 21, 2005

A different world

A number of homeless people hanging out along the 16th Street Mall in Denver. Not something we see that much where we live/work/play.

We were in Radio Shake looking for something and they had a boom box on display. I noticed it for some reason. We wandered around the store a bit and then headed out. I noticed there was a homeless guy in front of us walking along carrying what looked to be that exact boom box. All of a sudden one of the store workers briskly walks past us, walks up next to the guy, leans over to him as they are walking and says something like , "That's ours, you can't take it", takes it from him, turns around and heads back to the store. And he just keeps walking and steps up onto the bus and off they go.

Tina was like, "What just happened? Did he just take that from the store?"

Seemed like it was an every day kind of thing. No fuss. No calling the cops. Just go get it from the guy and return it. I don't think he was "stealing" it, I think it just looked cool so he picked it up.

And there was another guy sitting on the sidewalk, up against the building, just mumbling, "That's one crazy guy. Yup, one crazy guy."

Just stuff we don't see every day in our world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to a day in the life of me. Since I started at Catholic Charities I am surrounded by hundreds of people each day that fit every profile you saw. It is a different world and took time to adjust to. Kinda wierd that after a while I seem to take those things in stride just like that employee. I do have one thing to say and that is not a whole lot surprises me anymore.

L8rs