Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Blow their minds
I'm standing in the post office this morning (so I can ask them if they have 1099 forms - which btw they don't because there is an IRS office in town. Apparently the fact that there are at least 5 post-offices in town and only 1 IRS which is way across town failed to convience somebody of the need of a duplicate source of forms :-() - anyway, I digress.

So, I'm standing in the post office and I'm 2nd in line (the guy in front of me being helped by the post office person).

P: That will be $22.30
G: $22.30?
P: Yes
G: Sighs... - I only have $20 and stares at her
P: Well you can ship just one package and bring the other back later
G: reaches into his pockets, searching for money - stands there with the same look I get on my face when something like this happens to me
M: Excuse me, how much did you say $22?
P: twenty two 30
M: reach in my pocket and pull out $2.30 - There you go

They both just look at me. She says, "Well that is mighty nice of you". The guy just looks at me... looks around, she takes his packages and he kind of wanders off in a haze.

It was well worth the $2.30 just to see the looks on their faces. Besides... I hate feeling helpless like that... kind of like "OK... I'm on my way to work. Now what.... go home and get the 2 bucks and be late for work. Or maybe just not send it now and hopefully it will be ok or ..." Given my personality type this throws me into a stupor where I just kind of freeze up... wishing the problem would go away. So I decided to make his go away. Maybe someday someone will help me with some similar "great problem." :-)

No comments: