Saturday, February 07, 2004

An example of what I do for work

As I've mentioned before, what I do for work is fairly uncomprehensible to most people. So... when I get a "real world example" I always like to share it.

Oprah's show on Monday is "Oprah's Pop Star Challenge with Simon Cowell" - Simon of American Idol fame. I don't have know all the details of the show... but it appears to be kind of like American Idol - with contestants and people calling 800 numbers to vote for their favorites.

Well, MCI is handling those calls (the traffic) and the system I work on is being used to help monitor some of that traffic. I won't bore you with the details... but our system will be receiving a record of every call made to those numbers and doing some analysis of them. (We aren't the system that is actually tallying the vote).

So hey... watch the show and call in. And my system will see your call. How cool is that? :-)

No comments: