Saturday, February 07, 2004

We are all in the same family

I'm done with the galley tour and Steve is upstairs in the Tahiti lounge doing Karaoke again. (There is a Karaoke spot in the talent show). I figure I'll see if it is still going on and give him some support. I head up the stairs, head down the hall way, and I start hearing what sounds like a bunch of people signing gospel songs. As I get closer to the lounge, I see this large group of people outside of the lounge, gathered around the piano. Steve and Lana are with them, and everyone is really going for it, singing hymns.

I ask what's up, and Steve says that this guy just started playing piano and people just started gathering around him. So I join in.

WOW. This was an awesome experience.

There are about 50 people gathered around the piano. The piano player is a black pastor who just sat down and started playing. The main guy leading us is a black guy with an incredible voice - maybe late 30's to mid 40's? I only mention they are black because sometimes... white guys just can't sing black gospel songs with *soul*. Don't give me your PC flames... you know its true. :-)

Anyway, this guy is leading us with HEART and PASSION. It was incredible. Here I am, on a cruise ship, standing outside a bar... and I'm worshipping God. I mean I can feel HIS presence and I'm entering in. If you aren't a Christian, this sounds like a lot of Christian lingo... Everything around you disappears, you aren't worried about what other people are thinking... I just kicked off my sandals, raised my hands, and went for it. It was awesome. And as it got closer for us to head for dinner (there are set dining times if you are eating in the restaurants) someone said, "We should get back together at 9:30 after dinner" and everyone agreed and we did.

One of the coolest things about it, to me, was the makeup of the people. Here is a group of about 50 people... Most of them older. They are singing songs most of which I've never heard. Yeah, I've heard Amazing Grace, Swing Low Sweet Chariot, and Battle Hymn of the Republic, but not many of the others. These are hymns. Not what I'm used to playing on a Sunday morning! And it was awesome. It didn't matter what songs we were singing. It didn't matter what church we went to, what denomination we were, what race, age or background. Our common bond was Christ and we were worshipping him and singing praises to him. It was just incredible.

And it made me think, just like it did when I was worshipping in Costa Rica. We are all one body, one church, the bride of Christ. And at times like this, it shows.

We hear a lot lately about reaching out to "the lost". About not judging them - "They are sinners... they sin." That Christ came for the sick, not the healthy. That is all good and important stuff. And I think we are learning and growing. But I think one area we still need to grow in is with each other. We ARE one body. We ARE one church. Yes, we have been hurt by each other. Yes, we have been hurt by the church. But we are still ALL God's children. There is so much tendency to judge other churches and Christians. To cut our old churches no slack because they have hurt us. To forgive the "sinner" but not our "brother" because - hey... they should know better. Get over it! We are all people. We all make mistakes. And we are all His children, trying to love Him the best way we know how, and walk our walk to the best of our abilities. Some in different ways, some through different methods. Feeling that you have found the "true" way, the "better" way isn't a bad thing... Just don't use it to look down on your brothers and sisters and make you think you are better than them. You aren't.

Something I need to remind myself of. Like they say, "I'm preaching to myself here." It is just so crystal clear in a situation like this. Yes... we are different... but are we all that different? No. We are all His children. And when we cut off all the junk and just focus on Him and worshipping Him, it becomes so apparent.

In Heaven there isn't going to be the "black gospel" group of people, and the "hymns" people and the "rock" people... there isn't going to be the "charismatic" and "baptist". There is just going to be "His kids" and we are all going to be joined together worshipping Him. When you experience that here on earth, it is a great reminder and so awesome.

Thanks Dad for bringing that together. I know you were looking down on it with such joy. And it brought us so much joy too. Love ya!

No comments: