Saturday, November 22, 2003

And speaking of worship
I've been thinking about this for some time. Reading Erika's post made me think about it even more...

Background I stepped down from the adult worship team to work with the youth about 2 years ago. The youth worship team has grown tremendously, Bobby and Michael are both able to lead it so well, and I've been working in one form or another 7 days a week. Even if you are called to something and have a great time with it, it is a committment, time away from family, etc. So, about a month ago I stepped down from the youth ministry. A hard decision, but one I felt I had to make. Meanwhile... A while back (spring maybe?), I started playing on the adult worship team again, but not going to practice. I'm in a position where I can do that, and Teresa was great enough to give me the freedom to do it.

After I stepped down from youth, I decided I really didn't have a good reason for not going to practice. Its hard when you are working 7 days a week, but now I had Saturday off, and it is easier to do stuff on a day when you are already committed to something else. Plus I had been feeling this loss. Worshipping with the team on Sunday was cool... but somehow I wasn't feeling a part... or maybe totally a part. I was... but I wasn't. If you get what I mean.

Anyway, a few weeks after stepping down and getting some other stuff in line, I started going to practice again. And it has been AWESOME! Who would have thought? But it has been. I've gone through times of practice when it is something you have to do, so that you can worship on Sunday. I know it probably isn't like that for everyone. Some people work on their parts quite a bit in practice. But I pretty much just play what I feel and once in a while someone (Teresa, Steve or Greg) will suggest something else. And as drummers and percussionists know... you spend a lot of time not doing anything. We are working on the vocal parts... could you STOP MAKING SO MUCH NOISE. Yeah... faced with boredom we tend to tap, drum, etc. Which is why I tend to go sit down... so I don't just start making noise out of habit. :-)

But it hasn't been like that. I've had these times in the past, where I come home from worship practice and I'm so wired that I can't sleep for a few hours. And it isn't like it was some big spiritual thing where God showed up, everyone realized it, we all fell to our knees or something. I think its just HIS PRESENCE. He's just THERE. You can feel Him, you are worshipping Him, and you are just having a great time Prasing Him and playing with Him. That is the only way I can explain it. I've been in secular bands. Lately I've done some secular stuff. And it was fun. And it was cool. But it WASN'T the same. At least for me.

If it isn't worship, its just lacking something. And that is a real revalation to me. I've always suspected that was true. I've always felt it would be true, deep in my heart. But I haven't done anything secular since I've been worshipping, until lately. And it was confirmed. Like I said, it was fun and cool - and I'd probably do it again... but it just wasn't the same. Nothing can beat playing music to God and worshipping Him. It was what we were meant to do. And one of the coolest things about it... is that it is easy.

It isn't a big reverent thing. It isn't a big "I'm playing before GOD. I have to be PERFECT." It is a fun thing. A joyful thing. A playing around thing. It's "I'm playing before God... my friend. The creator of the universe who loves me, wants to be my friend, and sent His some to DIE for me... just so we could hang out FOREVER." When we let go, aren't uptight, and don't worry about things. When we just have fun, He enjoys it. That is the way it was meant to be. And in Him having fun, we are blessed...

Again, that's the only way I can explain it. David worshipped, danced, and praised before The Lord joyfully, with abandon, with his whole heart, and he was a man after God's own heart.. And God delights when we do the same.

I once asked God, "Why? Why is it that people will say I'm annointed. That I just seem to GET worship? Why is that? I'm not a big scholar. I don't spend enough time with You, in the Word, etc. Why have you blessed me? Why is it that worship is so fun for me?" And He told me, "That's exactly why. Because it is so fun for you. I have blessed you because you bring me joy. You joy in worship, and that is what I'm looking for."

I think He does that with all callings. He is looking for someone to do a particular thing... and when He finds someone who will do it, and have a good time doing it, He blesses them.
Part of my desire, and I think why I was called to work with the youth, is to get people to understand that about God, their calling and especially Worship. Its all about the passion, the fun, the delight in doing what God has asked you to do. If it isn't fun, if it doesn't feel right, if it is a strain...then I'm not sure its God. I believe He calls us to things that will bring us joy... because He put that desire, ability and joy in our hearts for the things He has called us to!

So yeah... I'm just very excited with how practice has been going lately. I've talked to Tina about it. It just feels so right. We go through highs and lows in our walk... and I'm very happy to be in a high right now. Practice has just been so AWESOME and I come home so jazzed. Its a great thing to Worship Him.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

buy valium online buy diazepam generic valium - buy valium from canada

Anonymous said...

how to buy xanax online side effects from xanax pills - xanax drug test

Anonymous said...

generic xanax cheap xanax canada - xanax bars injecting

Anonymous said...

diazepam where can i buy diazepam online - buy valium online legally usa

Anonymous said...

xanax pill extended release xanax pills - xanax withdrawal day 2

Anonymous said...

buy xanax buy xanax online without script - generic xanax same

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam diazepam 5mg tablets used - diazepam 5 mg rectal

Anonymous said...

carisoprodol online buy soma in texas - carisoprodol 350 mg high

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online drug interaction ambien lexapro - overdose dosage of ambien

Anonymous said...

buy somas legitimate online soma - buy somatomax

Anonymous said...

diazepam drug diazepam valium children - valium dosage children

Anonymous said...

soma muscle relaxant carisoprodol 350 mg qualitest - buy soma watson brand