Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Backplate, yeah... I knew that
Deep background: although my brother is quite the mechanic and used to have no problem with pulling his 327 out of one Chevy and dumping into another, whenever he got a new car; I on the other hand spent a week trying to put headers into my 57. Needless to say, I'm not too mechanically inclined.

Context: My SVX has been making some weird noise, I took it to the shop, the CV-boots were hosed (I knew that) and so they replaced the front axles, and while doing that, the front-breaks as well. On my way home I noticed the car was making a noise. I dropped Jaime at piano on the way to work and she said, "Yeah... that doesn't sound too good." Encouraged by the mechanical knowledge of my 16 year old daughter, I figured the wise course of action would be to stop by the garage... just in case there was something wrong.

G: Can I help you?
M: I had my car in here yesterday for repairs and now it is making a noise
G: What kind of noise?
M: Grinding.
G: Grinding?
M: Yeah... grinding, rubbing, I don't know... doesn't sound good.
G: Just a sec... Jeff will meet you out front.
J: Your car is making a noise?
M: Yes.
J: What kind of noise?
M: I don't know... a grinding, rubbing, doesn't sound good kind of noise.
J: When you drive it?
M: Yes
J: Pull it forward.

I do... he walks around front, leans under the car and messes with it for a minute.

J: Yeah... when you replace the CV-boots the backplate gets bent sometimes. I usually get them straightend back out. Guess I didn't catch this one. Should be good now. Sorry about that.

And now its fixed!

Yeah... the backplate. Of course! ;-)

No comments: