Friday, July 22, 2005

CNN.com - Lawmakers move to extend daylight-saving time - Jul 22, 2005

There are numerous things that I just "don't get" about this:
According to some senators, farmers complained that a two-month extension could adversely affect livestock
Unless I'm missing something... I really don't think the cows, chickens, etc. pay much attention to the time. I thought they just used the sun.
"The beauty of daylight-saving time is that it just makes everyone feel sunnier," said Markey
Well there is a good reason to go through the cost of changing a law, changing all the zoneinfo files on every computer system, etc. Anything so that we can feel "sunnier".
Upton noted that the extension means daylight-saving time will continue through Halloween, adding to safety. "Kids across the nation will soon rejoice," said Upton, because they'll have another hour of daylight trick-or-treating.
When I was a kid, we always waited till it was dark.

Like I said, I don't get it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all it makes perfectly good sense to me that after a long day of work that you would have more daylight to drive home in. instead of darkness when you leave your workplace. Second, that one extra hour of light will be able to burn off more pollution from rush hour traffic. Oh yeah that "Holiday" halloween really doesn't rate to high on my list any more or my kids.
Clyde

James said...

Hey Clyde!

I meant I didn't get why livestock would care...

I know what you mean about leaving work in the dark though. I have leaving work and already having it dark out... And I come in pretty late anyway usually, so would work for me.