Tuesday, July 05, 2005

A Napoleon Dynamite moment

Yesterday Tina wanted Macaroni Salad for breakfast - and Jaime wanted McDonalds. We didn't have any macaroni, so I figured I'd just dash into King Soopers, grab a bag (they have a FMV brand that is only 99 cents, and it just as good as any of the other), then hit McDonalds. That way I wouldn't be gone too long.

So I go in, get the bag, get in line and wait for the person in front of me to get checked out. The cashier is a girl about 19 or so. She finishes with the person in front of me...

C: Looks up at me, "Did you find everything you were looking for?"
M: Yes
C: Looks down at the ledge where you can sit your groceries, picks up the one bag of macaroni, then looks back at me, "Is this it?"
M: Yes
C: In a great Napoleon Dynamite voice, "Yeeesss. Macaroni for the 4th of July", and then with a little bit of pity in her voice, "Well... some days are just like that".

Aside from the missing arm pump, it was a great ND phrase. The "Yes" was perfect. I thought about explaining the whole thing, 'cuz I figured she thought maybe that was all I could afford, etc... But then I decided it would ruin the whole ND moment... and it was just too priceless to ruin. So I just kind of grinned at her, said, "Yup", took my macaroni and headed out.

Just cracked me up. I get sooo many ND moments from Jaime and her friends, but not from a total stranger. I'm still laughing about it.

No comments: