Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Geek thoughts at 03:30

This is the kind of stuff I think about when I can't sleep - yeah, major geek.

So like I've been whining... I'm part time on this project and this other manager is in control of it - and his team will be doing most of the coding. We (another guy and I) did the initial coding, and now I'm kind of in an advisory/architecture position. There is stuff that needs to be done, that would take 30 minutes to do - design, document, code, test, CM. But because he's in a very tight waterfall methodology, he doesn't want any code changing.

So at 03:30 I can't sleep and I'm thinking about this. How code can be viewed as a beautiful, living, breathing thing. Its out there serving some purpose, and its constantly changing. Making minor changes as the design morfs or as the customer's needs change. And that's how this code was. We got it running, and we starting discussing major functionality with a number of developers... and as we came across some small change that needed to be made, we'd put it in.

But no longer. Now it is a stagnant thing that is just sitting there, getting more and more out of date as the days go by.

And it is frustruating. 1) Because it could be easily changing as required, and 2) If you know a change has to be made you can either make it - and forget about it; or you can list it, track it, worry that someone is going to make it, etc.

Anyway - like I said, geek thoughts at 3:30 in the morning...

No comments: