Thursday, October 24, 2002

Well that was fun
At the Dentist yesterday for a crown. I've never had one before, and with my general dislike of having someone stick a drill in my mouth, along with my low pain tolerance, I wasn't looking forward to it. Not exactly sure what he was going to do, but still not too thrilled.

Dental Assistant: We just need to take an X-ray and then the Dr. will stop by to explain what he is going to do.
Me: OK
A few minutes later
Dr: You have an abscessed tooth. We are either going to have to pull it or remove the dead nerve.
I give him kind of a dazed look
Dr: So, we'll either have to pull it or remove the dead nerve. I'll have the assistant stop by and give you the price difference.

At this point I'm thinking... I came in for a crown. Whatever he said sounds suspiciously like a root canal. I've heard of those... they don't sound fun.
Asst: So, here's how much it costs for a root canal.
Me: Fine...

Dr: So, you've decided on having us remove the dead nerve. - or something like that
Asst: You always call it that, instead of a root canal, and then I come in and tell them how much it will be for a root canal and they always give me this look.
Me: Exactly!

Dr: giving me the 1st shot of Novocain OK, since you didn't open your mouth wide enough I'll have to give you another shot.
Me: I thought I did have it wide open.

Dr: Did you feel that? Here, let me put some more Novocain in there.

Dr: to the asst Get me the rubber clamper, something like that
Dr: to me I hate using these things, but your tongue just isn't going to stay out of the way.
He then inserts this piece of rubber that smells like a balloon, into my mouth, and a few clamps, and stuff. Kind of reminds me of something you'd see on a torture scene from a horror flick. There, that should work better.

Dr: OK, we'll that's going to taste really bad, but Novocain won't kill you, it just tastes toxic. I spilled some into your mouth while I was pouring it directly into your tooth.

Dr: Wow, this is a really hot tooth. It's bleeding pretty good.

Dr: Did you still feel that? Well, lets pour some more in there.

Dr: Boy, these roots are really curved, this is a little more complicated than normal.

Dr squirts some stuff in my mouth, packs it in with what looks like a tootsie pop stick, and then kind of jams it in there and leaves it there.
Dr: That probably looks pretty weird, having a piece of metal sticking out of your mouth like that. I'll remove it in a minute.

and finally...
Dr: Well, we're at the place you thought you were when you came in here two hours ago. Now we can do the crown prep, but we'll leave that for another day. I don't think you could take another 45 minutes of work now.

Actually it went much better than I had feared, when hearing the term "root canal". Took some Vicadan last night, and this morning it doens't hurt at all. He did a good job.

No comments: