Sunday, January 22, 2006

Pasta Sauce

(Yeah - up early before the flight, some last minute things to do - but might as well get some blogging done. I'm in the mooo - in case you couldn't tell. No posts for a while, then 5 this morning. Oh well - pretty normal for me to write in spurts).

I'm really considering not buying any kind of pasta sauce again. Forever I've been the "I can't take the time to let it cook all day. Just grab some 'store-bought' and then spice it up with some meat, extra veggies, etc." kind of person. But over the last few months I've made some by hand rather quickly. And last night kind of tipped the scales with a "Hmm... that was pretty good and only took 15 minutes" sauce.

Inspired by two episodes of Emril where he made a vodka sauce - the main point being the crushed tomatoes and cream, I decided to make Ravioli last night with a tomatoe/cream sauce.

Sautee some shallots, sun-dried tomatoes, and a little bit of proscuitto in olive oil. Then added some organic "chunky tomatoe sauce" and stired it around. Threw in some oregano and basil, salt and pepper. Let it cook for 5 minutes till bubbling, tasting and adding more seasoning as needed. Finished with some 1/2 and 1/2 and let cook a few more minutes.

It turned out pretty good. Nice spices, fresh tomatoe taste due to the chunks of tomatoe and that it hadn't cooked all day and wasn't acidy, due to the cream and the organic tomaote sauce.

Given the freshness, the fact that it was homemade, and how quick and easy it was... Yeah, I'm thinking maybe I'll stick with doing it this way. Plus its easy to play with and adjust as the mood strikes.

No comments: