Thursday, March 04, 2004

Auto-pilot

I'm a routine kind of guy. I put my keys in the same place every day, I put video's that need to go back right by my keys, etc. This way I don't have to think about (or remember) the small things. Which is good because I'm frequently thinking about work, church, etc. and easily forget to "take that movie back", etc.

In light of this, if I'm taking leftovers for lunch, I get them ready the night before, then I put my lunch box next to my keys. That way I won't forget I made lunch.

Given that, here is an example of how my mind works.

Get to work and realize "Hey, I forgot to bring my lunch in from the car". I figure I'll wait a bit and then go get it. As I'm sitting at my desk doing other things I realize that:
  • I might have left my lunch in the car, or
  • I might have left my lunch at home on the counter - (saw the lunch box, put the food in it, then set it down and left w/o it because I was in a hurry to get Jaime to work), or
  • maybe I was in such a rush that I didn't even notice my lunch box, and thus it is still in the fridge.

Try as I might, I wasn't sure which option it might be. Did I remember putting it in my lunch box? Did I rememeber taking it out to the car?

The great thing about setting up things so you can do them on auto-pilot is that it becomes second nature and I don't have to think about it. Given I don't think about it (and given I brought lunch yesterday), there was no way I could recall what I did this morning.

Went out to the car and it wasn't there... So... it's either choice (2) or choice (3). At this point I have no clue which. I'm leaning towards (3) - left it in the fridge. Guess I'll know when I get home.

No comments: