Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Its not just *software* architects

So I'm having coffee with Steve (my brother) and a friend and we start discussing computer jobs. Steve is a fire-fighter and does part-time construction.

S: What is it you do again?
M: I'm a software architect... Using a Grady Booch type analogy... it is similar to building architects. Say I was building a skyscraper, I'd specify how the plumbing, parking structures, electrical, etc. all fit together and then other people would build according to that spec.
S: Oh... you're one of those. I hate those guys. They are always giving us plans that when we look at them we say, "Is this guy clueless? That isn't going to work". They have no idea how things really work, have never actually BUILT anything.

And so on. Well, its interesting to see it isn't just in the computer science field. That others see these same problems. Of course, it isn't industry wide. There are good architects (I hope I'm one), good designers, etc. Usually you run into this problem when you have someone that has never actually worked in the field. Software architects and designers who have never coded. Luckily I've coded (and continue to do so) and so know what we can/can't do, etc.

Anyway, made me laugh and also gave me insight into other fields.

No comments: