This dish is going to be layered in the slow cooker as described below:
- 1 Large Onion - cut in 1/8ths, vertically, and then pull the outer layer of skin and cut off the top, but leave the bottom in tact so that it stays togeter.
- 6 chicken breasts. I used boneless/skinless - but you could easily use the other kind.
- 2 tsp 5 spice powder
- 1 Head of garlic - peel the cloves (about 15)
- 1/4 C Honey
- 1/4 C Pistachio nuts
- 2 Artichokes - cut in 1/2, Rinsed, Salted
- 1 15.5 oz can Garbonzo Beans
- 2 14 oz can's chicken stock
I thought it was really good. The onions really picked up the flavor of the garlic and honey. The chicken was a bit dry (as boneless/skinless in a slow cooker turns out to be with a liquid sauce) - but I let the liquid sit a few minutes after pulling everything off and then skimmed some off the top and used that as a sauce to dip my chicken in.
Jaime thought it was really good too. Tina said, "Well I don't hate it...". She isn't a big fan of "different" - but said she doesn't mind if I cook that way once in a while. :)
I served it with couscous. It had a great taste and artichokes are always fun to eat. I'll definately make it again, the next time I'm in the mood for something "different".