Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Freedom vs. rules

OK... so I posted a few back about Paul's stance on freedom vs rules. I read this quote today from Thomas Jefferson... though I doubt it applied to religon, and was most likely talking about civil freedom... I still think it applies.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
The problem with quelching liberty is, where do you draw the line? Who defines what is right/wrong. Where freedom becomes "too much freedom", etc.

This is not a call for anarchy, its just a question. I think the answer lies with the Holy Spirit, who tells me what is right for me... and also tells me to not worry about judging what is right for someone else.

Does that mean there should be no rules? No. There are obviously things that are right and wrong. (murder, lying, gossip, etc.) And as leaders we lead some who need direction. For instance, as a parent, I can't tell my 18 month old "just listen to the Holy Spirit and do what you feel is right", as they wonder out into the street. But the closer we move to "adulthood" (whatever that means), the more we need to make our own decisions... with the guidence of the Holy Spirit and with the help of those who we feel are mature, can help direct us, etc. This is true for all our lives. No matter how old, we need guidence and help from those more mature. But I digress...

Anyway,, I agree... I'd rather deal with the problems that come up because of too much freedom, than deal with the yoke of slavery.

No comments: