Friday, April 30, 2004

I defend google/gmail

I sent the following to Froma Harrop, who I read in the Woodmen Edition(a local paper):
Ms Harrop,

I'm writting in regards to your article intitled "Invade my computer, kiss my $ goodbye." In general I thought the article was good and the points relevant. However, the fact that you jumped on the "google is outrageous (or insert some other adjective) for putting ads in gmail" bandwagon seemed ill-informed.

Have you ever tried gmail or know anyone who has? Have you actually seen what the interface looks like? I have. I'm a software architect that pretty much "lives on the web". I'm used to all the various forms of advertisements that are associated with "free" things on the web, such as mail, search-engines, free blogging sites, newspaper articles, etc. Of all the "free" sites that use advertisements to provide us the consumer with the free service, I have to say that gmail is the least obtrusive of all. Much less than say the color banner ad across the top of Creaters.com's site. :-)

Being interested in technology, what is happening on the web, etc.; I followed all the gmail controversy and eagerly awaiting my chance to try it out. I have to say that the ads where a bit of a disappointment. I think the technology to provide "relevant" ads in my email my be interesting. (Similar technology is used by Blogger to put ads on my blog-site, and once it was hooked with google I actually found some interesting things). However, after using it for a week I realized I hadn't noticed any relevant ads. I hadn't noticed any ads at all! I then went back to find them and realized they only show up on *some* pages. Gmail help explained that they only put ads on some pages, and I believe only the first time you view your mail. After that point I kept a close eye out for them, and once they appeared realized why I hadn't noticed them sooner. They are very un-obtrusive. They are in the right side-bar. Since I'm used to windows with various bars/panes (for navigation, etc.), I hadn't really noticed them. They aren't inserted into my mail, so as I read my mail they don't catch my eye. They aren't in a different color, flashing, blazed across the top or bottom of my message, etc. To me, working on the computer all the time, they are invisible.

I'm not sure of google's marketing strategy with this. Hard to imagine sponsers will pay very much money when the ads are invisible. But maybe if I'm looking for something relevant. And as you said, you will actually use sponser's products when they are not obnoxious about their ads.

In any case, google has done a very good job of making their ad placement as unobtrusive as possible, and I think it unfortunate that journalists, politicians, etc. are jumping on the "lets crucify" google/gmail for something that isn't true, and which most of these people have not experience themselves.

Thanks for reading this... and for putting up with any misspellings, bad grammer, etc., which I sure drives you nuts as a journalist. I also want to say in general I look forward to your columns and always read them.

James.

Just had to do it.

Hopefully its effect is not offset by the fact that in the closing sentence (when I'm apologizing for my writting), I accidently said "Which I sure" instead of "Which I'm sure". Sheesh.... Maybe she'll think I was trying to be funny. I just happened to notice it when I posted it here... I guess that is what I get for hitting send BEFORE posting it on my blog and rereading it.

No comments: