Monday, June 07, 2004

Layoff update

When I reported that we had lost 1 person, that was all I knew. That was what the "rumor mill" had told me. Turns out we actually lost FOUR. Well officially it was only 3, because one of the people worked for us, but belong to another group. But in my mind it is still four, because four people that worked on Sheriff will no longer be working on it.

We lost a technical writter, system support, implementation developer and the implementation manager. Two got layed off right away, the manager is leaving mid July and the developer got an extension until mid Sept to finish the work he is on now. Again, compared to many groups, we weren't hit hard at all. Around 10%. Some groups got hit at least 50%! But it still shows the unfairness of just throwing numbers down the line. Our manager numbers (number of managers given the number of people in the group) were just fine... but someone decided we needed to lose a manager. For whatever reason. Probably just to share the pain. Even though we have more work than we can possibly do, are good producers, and have a great ROI. Good news is that the manager had been thinking lately about going back to school for his Phd... and his advisor had recently called him out of the blue and discussed coming back. So works well for him, which is cool.

Luckily for me, no one on my team got laid off... although I do work with everyone who did get laid off and have known some of them for probably 8 years.

However, still looks like more work for me. Since we had to let a manager go, we can't get another one, so that manager's work will be split between the existing two managers. And since my manager had two teams, and is now picking up something like 6 more small teams, he has said he'll need his current leads to pick up some of the responsibilities. (Yeah... I would be one of those current leads). His number of people isn't going to increase drastically (since the implementation teams are very small), but I expect his management responsibilites (working with the customer, etc.) will increase. Probably an increase of about 50%.

Anyway... so, more work for me, perhaps. At least more reponsibility. We'll figure it otu. There is only so much you can do, and if they keep cutting your group, you just have to do less.

No comments: