Thursday, June 17, 2004

MUSHing

As I've mentioned in several posts, I've been MUSHing (Multi-User Shared Hallucination) on Pern lately. A big fan of the books, I've thought about mushing when Tif has mentioned it in the past, but never actually did it. Well she has started up again and sent me some mail on it, etc. And this time I actually got into it!

I'll probably post more about it as time goes on, and I'm starting a sub-section of my web site about it. Pretty cool stuff.

Not everyone (who I talk to), gets the whole mushing thing... but I'm finding some very cool stuff there. Its really more than just a game. I've played plenty of on-line games, and the big difference is... there isn't really much *to do*. The whole concept is the interaction of the characters. As a newbie, I'm trying to figure out how to "play", the commands, etc. But I'm also trying to figure out how to role-play. What is appropriate, what isn't... and how it all fits together. And then there is the actual code behind it all, which is always cool to me.

So, right now, I'm just enjoying learning... and finding out who my character is. Kind of weird to say, since I'm the one behind my character... but it is just an idea. And as my character interacts with other characters (through things I say), he is shaped by the things they say, his interactions with them, etc.

Pretty different... Pretty cool.

No comments: