Friday, June 04, 2004

Todays the day

Senior Manager at weekly staff meeting yesterday: "I need everyone to be here at 8:30 tomorrow".

OK... so the rumors are true. Today is the day. 7500 people get axed. They are being tight-lipped about this one. Not sure where the 7500 are coming from. Not sure how hard we'll get hit. Our group does good work. We have more work and more $$ than we can spend. (People are budgeting funds to us, and we've got more budgeted than we can spend, because of the low number of people we have). We don't have enough people for the work/funds we already have allocated. And we'll lose some people today.

Yesterday afternoon and this morning is the first time I've been nervous. Just this small gnawing in the back of my head. I'm near the top of the list (I think). (Bottom being the first one they'll let go). But that is only if they lay people off based on some sense of sanity. And they seem to just be going for numbers. So... who knows.

I was thinking of wearing my Google, "I feel lucky" t-shirt, but I'm not sure that is appropriate. Folks who are leaving my not take it well. So... I think I'll go with my "I was created for worship" t-shirt. I never wear christian t-shirts to work, and rarely ones with writting... But today it just seems appropriate to remember that there is more than work. A bigger reason why we are here. So hey, if I get cut, I get cut. God will take care of me. And if it is going to happen, He's already got something better lined up.

But it will still be a hard day, either way. We are just getting way to small, and whoever goes it will be someone I've worked with for years. And they won't get to say good-by, etc. Just walked out the door.

They'll probably start around 9:00, do one at a time (takes about 30 minutes I think) and at some point we'll be told, "Ok. Its over", i.e., if you are still here, you are safe.

Women were bringing their new babies into work yesterday to show them to all their co-workers, before their co-workers got axed and they'd no longer see them. Just in case...

Went to bed at 2:15 last night, up at 6:00. Yeah... its going to be a weird day. I think I'll copy my web pages off my lap-top... just in case. Better safe than worry. :-S

No comments: