Saturday, May 15, 2004

Fusion Worship - the second time around

Yeah, I know the name has changed from Fusion back to Fuel, but to me the youth worship team will always be Fusion Worship - 'cuz that is where it all started.

As many of you know (if you follow the other Fueler's blogs at all), Pastor Rick has stepped down. I won't go into the reasons, background, or any of that. But it means there is a change coming in the youth ministry (of course). And due to those changes, I'm stepping back into youth for a while. I'm pretty psyched about it. Yeah, it basically means working 7 days a week again... but with all that has been going on, I've been kind of doing that anyway. My role as "pastoral staff" has really kicked up lately.

So last Tuesday we got together with the youth leaders (both adults and students) and let them know that Roger and Rachel will be taking over as the youth directors. (Woo hoo... cool stuff). The pastoral staff had met with them and their enthusiasm, vision, ideas, etc. are just awesome. Although they have lots of experience (5 years on staff at WYAM, 2 years at CBC, 3 years at Impact, etc.), they've never been in charge before. They are more than up for the task, but it does mean lots of new challenges and responsilities, so I'll be helping out with the youth worship for a while. Not in the same position I was before (youth worship director). Bobby has been doing that, and now that he has graduated and is stepping down, Michael will be handling that. My role is more of a... consultant, advisor... adult to talk to - servant.

Due to lots of rumors I got together with the two youth worship teams on Tuesday after the meeting with everyone, just to touch base. Is everyone staying, are some people leaving, how does everyone feel? It was TOTALLY encouraging. Although there had been lots of rumors, most of them turned out to be false. (Which is the way it always is with rumors, gossip, etc.) Bobby is leaving, which was planned for months - because he is graduating. Bobby, the awesome guy that he is, offered to stay for a while if we needed him, but he really wanted to move on. He's going to CBC in the fall, needs to look for work, get other things going, etc. Michael can handle stuff, so Bobby's last time with youth will be next week. Found out that Scott and Dono are leaving and going with Rick. Drag, but hey, everyone has to follow their heart. And Weston stepped down as the drummer, which isn't too surprising since his parents had left the church quite some time ago. But everyone else on the two teams are staying - which is awesome. On top of that, we are joining jv and varsity back together for the summer, so we'll be able to join the two teams. Its going to be great.

One of the rumors was "half the worship team is leaving and they'll go back to CDs." Which was so much a laugh, given I knew that if Michael was the ONLY one left (and I knew that wouldn't be the case), he'd do it himself... Which he proved last night. :-)

Last night there were some "transition issues". Some people thought jv was already done (but hadn't been announced to the kids). Other's knew that Roger was going to talk to the middle school kids last night and let them know the groups were combining, speak some life into them, tell them his vision, etc. So that they knew we were there for them and not abandoning them. (Always a good thing in transitions!). Well because of the mixed message that got passed around the leaders, no sound guys showed up. Although there are people that can run sound, there was no official people, and so no keys to unlock the stuff and turn on the board, etc.. So... no sound, no worship. Right? Wrong!

Michael and I are discussing it and all of a sudden he says, "The sound system!" (Lightbulb). Of course! Hey... we did worship in Costa Rica with a portable sound system that plugs in. We raced down to Children's Church (where it is stored), grabbed it, set it up, and he had a mic, his guitar and effects. Hey... if we could do it in CR, we can do it here. :-)

That is the awesome thing about our student led youth ministry. There hearts are all about serving... and if there is someone in charge, and some adults around to help out when/if they need it, they'll get it done.

Tina had called me at 6:00 as I was leaving work to let me know there was a snag at church and I needed to stop by to see if I could help. (The whole - is there service or not issue). Since I was brining food home for Jaime and Tif (and myself), I just stayed at youth until Roger showed up and the service got going. When I left at 7:15, Michael was doing worship and all was going well.

So, some people are going, but others are staying. And the ones staying are excited and on fire... and as Michael showed last night, they have a "Lets make this happen" attitude. God isn't looking for the most qualified. He isn't looking for the most skilled. He is looking for those that are going to do it. No matter what. That are going to press ahead and carry out the vision He has placed in them.

I'm psyched to be involved in it again. It may just be for the summer - but for however long it is, its good to be involved with the youth again. Nichole came up to me after Tuesday's meeting and said, "I'm so glad you are coming back, even if for just a while". Wow... me too. I love these guys. Their hearts and willingness to serve are SO awesome. And their ownership of "our ministry".

Its great to be back.

No comments: