Friday, May 14, 2004

Music soothes the...

So its been a hard week. I usually don't post too much stress/frusturating/etc topics. But its been hard. Church issues, work issues, life issues. Some high points and some low.

Anyhow, last night was worship practice and it was great. Teresa has been teaching lately and she is awesome. She's been trying to explain worship, and what shes says describes it so much better than I could ever. Very cool. She says what I feel. Last night she was talking about "doing worship with excellence" and how many times muscians/singers strive for excellence, because "we are supposed to do all things with excellence before the Lord."

She made two very good points.
  1. In the new testemant God is refered to as our Father.
  2. Excellence in worship is a heart thing, not a skill thing


Just as when your child (or even teen) comes to you with some treasure/gift/thing-they-made, and are so happy, so excited to give you this gift that they made; and you are so happy to recieve it. Not because it is *perfect*. Not because it is the *best thing ever*. But because it comes from their *heart*. Because they took the time to do it. Because they put *love* into it. That is how our Father is when we bring our gift of worship to him, from our heart, not from performance.

First we learn what it is to worship. In doing so, if we have any calling or skill in the area, it will improve. Naturally, because we spend so much time at it. First we learn to worship, then we perfect the musical side of it.

Yeah... my feelings exactly. Like I said before, I'm so excited about the direction we are heading!

Anyway... a tough week, but then worship practice last night. The teaching was awesome and the worship was awesome. Bobby was leading in some free praise and I was playing the tambourine. I kept thing, I should go to the Djembe, but it felt a little awkward, didn't want to stop, etc. But I kept feeling it. Then Teresa looks over and me and says, "Take it James." Confirmation is a cool thing. Bobby dropped out (which left me hanging with nothing to follow - yikes), but I yelled at him, "Bring it back up. Keep going. I need you to play off of", and he brought it back up... and all was good.

Cool stuff.

No comments: