Saturday, May 01, 2004

Lost one person

The rumors were true. We lost one person. Doesn't effect me from a work point of view directly (different group, outside my area of responsibility, etc.), but it does effect me indirectly. One of the people on my team is working for two teams, split time, and all work that the laid off person was doing was dropped in his lap.

Early on lay-offs are a means of getting rid of problem people. It is very hard to fire someone in a large company, so managers traditionally get rid of them during lay-offs. As you shrink more and more, you start cutting into productive people who are good. I'm in no position to know the internals, decisions, etc. of why pepole are now getting laid off... But we are a highly visible group, do excellent work, and have requests to do more work from the highest people in the company. We are over worked as it is and can't get done what we need to. I hate when we get included in the layoffs. It feels very arbitrary...

Sigh. On the good side, we've bit hit very lightly compared to many other groups. Our management fights hard for that, and it is a testiment to them, and to the work we do, that it is so. So, we hold on to that and continue on.

Well, I've got work I have to get done before the girls wake up (all *3* of them! :-)), so I better go.

No comments: